This document describes the tools for managing the categories list for decorated products. The categories list for decorated products can be found on the Decorated Products page in a store's admin area. The decorated products category list is arranged in a tree view. The tree view is a graphical control that represents a hierarchical view of the category structure. Each item, called a branch, can have any number of sub-items.
Tree View Branches
Branches that do not have any sub-items are indicated by a square symbol. Branches that contain sub-items are indicated by either "-" or a "+" symbol, depending on whether the item is expanded or collapsed. When an item is expanded, its sub-items are revealed. Sub-items are visualized by an indentation in the list. If a branch is collapsed, its sub-items are hidden. By default, all branches are collapsed. Click the "+" symbol to expand a branch. Click the "-" symbol to collapse a branch.
Category Management Controls
The controls available for managing your decorated product categories are located above the category tree view.
These are described below:
- Add allows you to add a new category. When you click on the Add button, the Add category dialog will be displayed, allowing you to configure the details of the category.
- Category title lets you specify the category name.
- Category description lets you enter the description for the category using a WYSIWYG content editor or via direct HTML entry. Click on the "Source" button to toggle between the WYSIWYG editor and HTML format.
- Thumbnail lets you upload an image that will be used to display a thumbnail representing the category on the Products page in the store.
Click OK to add the category. The category will be added to the bottom of the currently selected branch.
- Delete will delete the selected category after you confirm that you wish to do so. You will only be able to delete a category if it is empty.
- Edit will let you edit the category name and description and change the image thumbnail for the category. It will also let you specify unique meta title, keyword, and description tags for the category. Clicking on the Edit button will load the Edit Category popup. The popup will contain two tabs; Category Details and Meta Tags.
- Category Title lets you specify a name for the category.
- Category Description lets you write a description for the category using a rich text editor. The description will be displayed on the page for this category in the online store.
- Thumbnail lets you choose a thumbnail image to be displayed for the category in the online store:
- Select Image lets you upload an image for the category. Clicking on this link will load the File Upload dialog.
Meta tags are snippets of text that provide information to search engines about the content of a page. The meta tags do not appear on the page itself, but only in the page's code.
- Use name as page title, when ticked, will use the category name as the title for this category's page in the online store.
- Create custom page title will allow you to enter a different name for the category page if the "Use name as page title" checkbox is un-ticked.
- Meta Keywords are used by some search engines to identify the topic and content of a page. Enter the keywords that you want the category to be searchable by in this field.
- Meta Description will appear in the preview of most search results and provide potential visitors with a short description of your decorated product category page. Enter the description that you want to be displayed in the search results for this category's page.
- Meta Index lets you choose whether or not you want search engines to include the page for the selected category in search results.
- Use page default will use the default indexing option for the Decorated Products page. The default is set via the Website Editor under Advanced Settings > Meta Tags.
- Allow search engines to index this category will allow search engines to discover this category page and store information from the page within an organized database called an index. When indexed, the category page will be returned in the search results if the content on the page is relevant to the search topic.
- Prevent search engines from indexing this category will cause a "noindex" meta tag to be included in the HTML code for the category page to prevent the category page from appearing in the search engine's search results.
Noindex is useful for preventing duplicate content in category pages from coming up in the search results for your site.
- Make Private will hide the selected category from the storefront. A lock symbol will be displayed beside a category to indicate that it is private.
The name of this button will change to Make Public after a category has been made private.
- Make Public will show the selected category in the storefront. If a selected category is public, the button name will be shown as Make Private.
Categories can be reorganized by dragging and dropping into different positions in the category tree. To re-order a category within its current level in the hierarchy, drag it up or down to a new position in the list. Let go of the mouse button when a gray line is displayed to indicate the new position.
To move a category to a different level in the hierarchy, drag it out of its current level and drop it into the desired position in the hierarchy.
Please sign in to leave a comment.