Every business relies on customers, so DecoNetwork keeps comprehensive customer records and uses them in an integrated fashion throughout the DecoNetwork system. While all the usual customer data points, such as name and address, are already being saved into your customers records and stored, you may require specific data to be captured and used in the system for your own unique business purposes. The Customer Fields page lets you add these extra fields and configure how the DecoNetwork system uses them.
- You must have administrator access to use this feature
To Configure Customer Fields
- Log into your DecoNetwork website and click Admin.
- Click Settings.
- Click Customer Settings.
- Click Customer Fields.
If this is the first time you have been to the Customer Fields area, you will launch the Add App screen which will add the required extra functionality into your DecoNetwork system. Click the app to select it and then press Add now to install. Press Close when DecoNetwork has finished re-configuring your site.
The work area of the Customer Fields screen gives you an overview of the customer information that is captured during the account signup and checkout processes.
The names of the fields can be edited in-line and saved. The order in which the fields will appear can also be moved up and down using the blue arrows. The availability of the customer record to all stores is set via the All Stores checkbox, which by default is ticked. Un-ticking the checkbox forces you to select which stores will use the new field. As many of the records being kept are used by DecoNetwork, they are not modifiable and so are grayed and not editable. Those that do have options that can be changed have a blue Edit button available.
Adding a Customer Field
If you wish to add a customer field, press Add Custom Field.
- This will add a new row of data to the screen.
- Give the field a name (keep it descriptive and relevant).
- Choose what type of data will be stored, such as text box (a plain text field of typed text) or dropdown box (a list of options), amongst others.
- Configure the type of data by pressing Edit.
- Configuration options for the new custom field are now available. If you have chosen a type of field that is a selection of choices from a list, you need to configure what those choices are. Below is an example of the custom field "Favourite Color" being set up with the options Red, Green, and Blue.
- Default sets which option will be selected prior to the user making a selection.
- When finished, press OK.
Define How DecoNetwork Uses Customer Fields
Many of the places within DecoNetwork can use and request customer information at different times, and many of these are configurable. Some, as they are required by the system, are not configurable. To check these configurations, press Define Field Usage.
If you have just created a custom field, make sure you also define its use!
You will be presented with a matrix of customer fields, where they appear, and how they are used. Many options are not editable as they are required by the system for normal operation. Making an option Visible means the customer, during sign up or checkout, can see the option as available to fill in. Making that option Required means the customer must also use that field, and failing to fill it in will reject the form being submitted with an error telling the user what they have done incorrectly.