If you offer customization of your products, you may wonder how to apply extra charges for the customization options. While DecoNetwork does not have a built-in setting to charge more for product customization, you can achieve this with custom fields.
Watch the following video to see how to add custom product fields with price modifiers. Read below for written instructions.
- You must have administrator access to use this feature
To add a custom field with price modifiers:
- Log into your DecoNetwork Website.
- Browse to Admin > Products.
- Select Custom Fields.
The Custom Fields main work area will show you a list of previously configured custom fields.
- Click on the button at the top right of the work area.
The settings for the new custom field will be displayed.
- Configure the custom field's settings.
Field on by default
Ticking this checkbox will display this custom field as an option when the default behavior for the product is also to display custom fields. This corresponds to a product's custom field configuration to "Use System Fields" (found under Admin > Products > [product] > Custom Fields). Additionally, if the Product Groups app is enabled, the behavior of the product group is set at Admin > Products > Product Groups.
Tick this checkbox to force the user to complete the custom field as the product enters the shopping cart.
This is the name of the field. Enter a name for the field, e.g. Button Color
Description lets you provide information that can be in the form of a question or a prompt that will help the customer complete the custom field.
Type defines which sort of on-screen input method the customer will use to enter data. For this option, we will use the Select, Drop-down type.
Drop-down is a list that opens up when the user clicks on the field. When this option is selected, you will be able to define the options for the dropdown list. The options will appear in a table below the Type field.
Click on the button to add an option. A row will be added to the table containing the following settings:
- On means the option will be used.
- Default is the option selected on page load.
- Name is the text that will appear in the option.
- Code is the text saved from selecting the option.
Configure a color option and repeat to add more colors.
The blue configuration wheel at the right of the Options table contains extra settings for the Select field type, including the ability to modify price and allow size variants:
- [Title] affects price opens the price modifier options
- Allow size variants will let you add size variants to each option.
Click on the cog icon and tick the Button Color affects price checkbox. Price settings will be shown.
- Price depends on color lets price be modified based on the color of the product being sold.
- Affect by lets you choose whether the price is specified by an exact value or as a percentage of either the base price, the decoration price, or both.
An additional price column will be displayed in the options table.
Enter the price or percentage for each option.
- Click Save.
- Assign the custom field to individual blank products that this decoration option can be applied to. See the article Using Custom Fields in Products for instructions. You can also apply custom fields to multiple products at once by assigning custom fields at the Product Group level. All products that belong to the product group will then use the custom field. See the Product Groups help article for detailed information about product groups.